- Launch EiffelStudio.
- Click Add project
- Browse to $ISE_EIFFEL\examples\preferences\.
- Choose preferences_example.ecf
- Choose the location where the project will be compiled, by default the same directory containing the configuration file.
- Choose the target: registry (Windows only) will use the registry to store the preferences, xml will use a xml file to store the preferences.
- Click OK.
After launching the application, you will see a window displayed with 2 buttons. When clicked each will display a window showing the preferences, one is the default view provided with the library, the other is a custom view for purposes of example. The default view looks like:
The custom view looks like:
In each dialog you can select the preferences and alter the values.
Under the Hood
This example shows you how to achieve the following tasks:
- Create preferences using the library supplied preference types and associated views
- Use the default widget for viewing preferences and manipulating their values
- Create a custom preference (a preference for storing correctly formatted directory path names)
- Create a widget to view and change the custom preference type value
- Create a custom manager to register custom types to the system
- Create a custom dialog for viewing all the preferences
- Parent <EiffelPreferences>